After a too-long hiatus, we’re bringing back food inspection results for restaurants, schools, assisted living homes and any other facility that serves food in the region and inspected by the Mississippi Department of Health.
An explainer for how facilities are inspected and what the grades mean follow the list, BTW.
OK, here we go for inspections from Jan. 1-11:
- Tupelo: Chick fil A 986 (Thompson Square), McDonald’s (N. Gloster), Stouts Bus N Deli, Regional III Mental Health, Arby’s, Bishop’s BBQ Grilll, Jimmy Johns, Vanellis Bistro, Samaritan Garden, McDonald’s (West Eason), Chesterville Grocery, McDonald’s (South Gloster), McDonald’s (West Main), Captain D’s (North Gloster), Salsarita’s, Lawndale Elementary, Tupelo Middle, Carver School
- Belden: King Chicken Fillin Station, Sprint Mart 37
- Baldwyn: Simmer Down, Polo’s 3 Stop
- Saltillo: Todd’s of Saltillo, McDonald’s
- Mooreville: Money & Rube’s
- Verona: Express Shop
- Corinth: Blue Sky #704, Blue Sky #706, Mi Toro, D-Shy’s Tamales, American Legion #6, Refreshments Inc. Catering, Kenny’s
- Ashland: El Rancho Mexican Restaurant, Shoup Marathon, Food Giant
- Houston: Kentucky Fried Chicken, Blue Sky #722, Grocer’s Pride Supermarket
- Fulton: Daniel Assisted Living/Charleston Place, Mi Toro #5, Legend’s Sports Grille, Huddle House, The Courtyard, Country Gentleman, Itawamba Agr/Fulton, Peking Palace, Walmart
- Golden: Fairview Jr High
- Tremont: Tremont School
- Oxford: Fill-Up with Billups Oxford Breakfast & Steakhouse
- Holly Springs: Cousin’s Travel Center Shell, Cousin’s Express, Kentucky Fried Chicken/Taco Bel, Foxfire Ranch, Walmart Supercenter, Hill Top Grocery, Holy Family School
- Nettleton: BAM Market
- Amory: Mr. Market and Deli, T Mart, El Toro Bravo, Region III Mental Health, Piggly Wiggly (Smoking Bro’s)
- Starkville: Southern Fried Pies, Insomnia Cookies, Starkville Manor
- MSU: Aramark Chic-Fil-A, Aramark – Starbucks
- Pontotoc: The Bean & Berry Coffee & Smoothie Bar, Kentucky Fried Chicken/Long John Silvers, La Parrilla Michoacana, Pontotoc Jr. High School, Pontotoc High School, Huddle House
- Thaxton: Outlaw’s Steakhouse
- Booneville: Dodge Store
- Marietta: The Sweet Shop
- Belmont: Belmont Elementary, Belmont High School
- Iuka: Iuka Elementary, Carrington House
- Etta: The Oxford Treatment Center
- Miss. State: Aramark – Market Place at Perry
- Pontotoc: McDonald’s (follow-up inspection on 1/7/19)
- Pontotoc: McDonald’s (inspection 1/4/19). A link to the report here.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Restaurants and other food facilities are inspected by the Mississippi Department of Health. They receive an A, B or C rating, reflecting whether critical violations were found and corrected. This grading system appears in all restaurants, as well as food facilities such as school cafeterias, day care centers, and cafes and bars where food is sold.
• A: No critical violations noted.The facility inspection found no critical violations. Critical violations of the state Food Code are those more likely to lead to food contamination, illness or other health risk.
• B: Critical violations were corrected during the inspection. Critical violations were found, but corrected under the supervision of the inspecting environmentalist. No further corrective actions are required.
• C: Critical violations have not been corrected. Critical violations were found, but some or all were not corrected during the inspection. The facility will be re-inspected, and all violations must be corrected in a time period not to exceed 10 days. The re-inspection date is posted on the graded report. If violations are not corrected in the specified time, steps are taken to suspend the facility’s permit to operate.
A grade of C is also given if critical violations are repeated from the last inspection, even if they were corrected at that time.
Note: After a facility receives a C, the highest grade after a follow-up inspection is a B, even if all violations have been corrected.
• Public health hazards: If any violations are found that constitute an immediate public health hazard, the facility is closed by the inspector.