It’s been a while, but we’re back with restaurant inspections.
If you’re not familiar, the state Department of Health inspects any place that serves food – restaurants, convenience stores, schools, nursing homes, etc., and grades them with either an A, B or C. Getting a C could be considered “failing,” but not to the point of it being a health hazard. A more detailed explanation follows the inspection report.
The following inspections were done March 1-9:
- Tupelo: Tupelo Food Mart (1074 N. Easons), Scarlet’s Donuts (South Gloster), Mike’s, Creative Cakes, El-Veracruz, Dismas Charities, Clarion Hotel, Sodexho Campus Diner, Dairy Kream, Connies Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut (South Gloster)
- Saltillo: Big Oaks Golf Club
- Corinth: StoneRidge of Farmington, Blue Sky #705, Blue Sky No. 704, Lloyd’s Mobile Unit, Baskin Robbins, George’s Diner, Refreshments Inc. Catering
- Houston: My Friend’s Place & Tea Room
- West Point: Popeye’s Chicken, Wendy’s
- Fulton: Kentucky Fried Chicken, Dorsey Food Mart
- Oxfofd: Chow King, Saint Leo Catering, Dodo Pizza USA Retail Inc.
- Amory: Pizza Hut, Piggly Wiggly (Smoking Bro’s), Country Squire, Bill’s Hamburgers, Monroe County Advanced Learning Center
- Starkville: The Biscuit Shop Company, The Camphouse, McDonald’s East Popeye’s BBQ, Walmart Bakery Deli #112, Hardees, KFC, Shipley Donuts
- Mississippi State: Concession Mobile – Aramark (Old Main)
- Pontotoc: Sydnei’s Kitchen, Warrior Express, New China Garden Buffet, Ladye Kathryn Catering, Polly Wangos, Leps BBQ & Ribs
- Ecru: Ecru Express, Friendship Pharmacy, North Pontotoc High School
- Sherman: Wild Bills
- Booneville: Delta Roots, Subway, Danny’s Italian Beef,
- Baldwyn: Hometown Pizza
- New Site: New Site High School
- Ripley: Burger King, Fiesta Grill, Food Giant Deli #260, Chicken Supreme, Tippah Lake Deli and Grocery
- Iuka: Farmhouse Restaurant
- New Albany: Zaxby’s, Mi Pueblo, Yummy Delight, Dogwood Plantation, Taco Bell.
- Belden: Blue Sky #733
- Ecru: Friendship Travel Center (follow-up inspection 3/7)
These facilities were cited for being “Not in Compliance” with the listed elements:
- McDonald’s (Starkville; 816 Hwy 12 West) – Proper cold holding temperature,
- Friendship Travel Center (Ecru)– Proper cold holding temperature (initial inspection 3/5)
- Gilmore’s (Corinth) – Food in good condition safe and unadulterated, food separated and protected, proper cold holding temperature, proper date marking and disposition, sewage waste water properly disposed, permit last inspection posted
Restaurants and other food facilities are inspected by the Mississippi Department of Health. They receive an A, B or C rating, reflecting whether critical violations were found and corrected. This grading system appears in all restaurants, as well as food facilities such as school cafeterias, day care centers, and cafes and bars where food is sold.
• A: No critical violations noted.The facility inspection found no critical violations. Critical violations of the state Food Code are those more likely to lead to food contamination, illness, or other health risk.
• B: Critical violations were corrected during the inspection. Critical violations were found, but corrected under the supervision of the inspecting environmentalist. No further corrective actions are required.
• C: Critical violations have not been corrected. Critical violations were found, but some or all were not corrected during the inspection. The facility will be re-inspected, and all violations must be corrected in a time period not to exceed 10 days. The re-inspection date is posted on the graded report. If violations are not corrected in the specified time, steps are taken to suspend the facility’s permit to operate.
A grade of C is also given if critical violations are repeated from the last inspection, even if they were corrected at that time.
• Public health hazards: If any violations are found that constitute an immediate public health hazard, the facility is closed by the inspector.