Last week, we brought you a few statistics about Valentine’s Day spending habits.
- 1,148: The number of U.S. manufacturing establishments that produced chocolate and cocoa products in 2011 (the most recent figures available), employing 35,538. California led the nation with 122 of these establishments, followed by Pennsylvania, with 109.
- 440: Number of U.S. establishments that manufactured non chocolate confectionary products in 2011, employing 19,198. California led the nation with 56 of the establishments.
- $13.5 billion: The estimated value of shipments in 2011 for firms producing chocolate and cocoa products.Nonchocolate confectionery product manufacturing, meanwhile, was an estimated $8.4 billion industry.
- 3,320: Number of confectionery and nut stores in the United States in 2011 (the most recent numbed available).
- 15,307: The total number of florists’ establishments nationwide in 2011. These businesses employed 66,165 people.
- $280.4 million: The value of imports for cut flowers and buds for bouquets in 2013 through October. The total value of fresh-cut roses as of October 2013 was $354.7 million.
- 23,394: The estimated number of jewelry stores in the U.S. in 2011. In February 2013, these stores sold as estimated $2.8 billion in merchandise. The merchandise at these locations could well have been produced at one of the nation’s 1,385 jewelry-making establishments.