From our djournal cohort Sheena Barnett (full story):
NEW ALBANY – On the banks of the Tallahatchie River and under a slew of lights and paper lanterns, beer fans can sample a few new flavors in New Albany this weekend.
This Saturday evening is New Albany on Tap, a beer tasting featuring 12 different craft and imported beers, seven of which are high gravity.
The featured beers are:
- Beck’s Oktoberfest
- Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra
- Sierra Nevada Ovila Dubbel
- Spaten Optimator
- Abita SOS
- Abita Vanilla Double Dog
- Crispin Brut Cider
- Anchor Liberty Ale
- Lazy Magnolia flavors Southern Pecan, Indian Summer and Timber Beast
New Albany on Tap features music by the All Night Long Blues Band from Clarksdale and food by Sugaree’s Bakery and Tallahatchie Gourmet. There will also be a raffle to win a six-pack a week for a year, Foster said.
Water and soft drinks will be provided for designated drivers, and there will be a taxi service on scene, said Mary Jennifer Russell, event coordinator and owner of Sugaree’s.
All proceeds will be donated to the Trailhead Plaza fund, which will go toward the creation of a small public space at a trailhead downtown.
This is the second year for New Albany on Tap, and it has grown in just one year. Last year the event had just 13 sponsors; this year’s has 50.
• What: New Albany on Tap
• When: 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Downtown New Albany on Bankhead Street, on the banks of the Tallahatchie River
• Cost: $20/advance, $25/gate
• Info: (662) 538-9379
• Extra: All volunteers and ticket holders must be at least 21.